My challenge for you this month is to implement one significant practice change that leads to an improved workplace.
WHY JUST ONE CHANGE?
- Productivity experts agree that focus and prioritization are critical factors in making impactful change.
- Doctors frequently tell me staff are often resistant to change and fear this causes the practice to lag behind.
- Multiple initiatives are likely to fail.
- List the areas that need the most improvement/attention. Include staff, as they are on the front lines and may have insights.
- Agree with your team on the No. 1 priority.
- Create SMART goals, and keep a “scoreboard.”
- Meet with staff frequently to review outcomes.
THE NEXT MOVE
When you feel this change has been successfully implemented, move on to No. 2 on the list. But before you move on to No. 2, don’t forget to reward success, via a bonus, an office party or treating staff to dinner. Leave employees feeling accomplished and looking forward to the next challenge. OM
COMBINATION DROP FOR GLAUCOMAGETS FDA NOD
As we go to press, netarsudil 0.02% and latanoprost ophthalmic solution 0.005% (Rocklatan, Aerie Pharmaceuticals) received FDA approval to reduce elevated IOP in open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension patients.
The once-daily drop combines latanoprost with netarsudil, a Rho kinase inhibitor designed to target outflow through the trabecular meshwork. (Netarsudil is the active ingredient in Aerie Pharmaceuticals’ Rhopressa, which received FDA approval in 2017.)
The new drop will be available in the second quarter of 2019 and is currently under review by “major payers,” Aerie Pharmaceuticals says. OM