- Alcon has acquired Tear Film Innovations Inc., the manufacturer of the handheld and portable iLux Device, which treats meibomian gland dysfunction. In related news, the company launched AlconScience.com , a one-stop-shop for Alcon’s scientific, academic, and related activities for U.S. and Canada-based eye doctors and academic institutions.
- Bausch + Lomb’s ONE by ONE Recycling Program, in two years, has diverted nearly 31,000 pounds of used contact lenses, blister packs and top foils, the equivalent of approximately two and a half times the weight of an elephant.
- CooperVision has raised $262,000 for Optometry Giving Sight’s 2018 World Sight Day Challenge. The company’s employees increased year-over-year giving by more than 35%, supported by a matching commitment from the company, and inspired altruism via sales of cause-branded merchandise, artwork auctions, bake sales, raffles and more.
- Menicon America has launched Miru 1month Menicon monthly replacement silicone hydrogel lenses in the United States. According to the company, the lenses are available as spheres for myopia and hyperopia, as a toric for astigmatism and as a multifocal for presbyopia.
- The Myopia Meeting, an inaugural event on the troubling refractive error, will occur Sunday, Feb. 10, at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Washington, DC. It will include five CE hours, experts and research, clinical information and practice management strategies surrounding the condition. Registration is now open online at http://regonline.com/THEmyopiameeting . (Stay tuned for meeting coverage in OM.)
- Opternative changed its name to Visibly, as the company feels the new name, “fully embraces the solutions it offers the eye care industry and appropriately represents the broad scope of who [it] can serve.”
- Tangible Science LLC’s daily disposable silicone hydrogel contact lens coated with a modified formula of the company’s Hydra-PEG coating (used for custom contact lenses to improve lens wettability and deposit resistance) has received FDA approval. The company says it hopes to bring the lens, which will initially be available in a single-vision, aberration-control design, to market in 2019.
- Vision Expo East, returning to New York City’s Javits Center, is now open for registration. In addition to the expansive show floor and crowd-pleasing College Bowl, this year’s event will feature an opening night party, among other social events. Register at VisionExpoNY.com .
- The Williams Group, a business consulting and practice management EHR firm for O.D.s, now offers Total Freedom, a comprehensive service that enables doctors to continue practice ownership and patient care, while Williams Group experts handle the practice’s day-to-day management. For more information, call (800) 676-9076, or visit www.thewilliamsway.com .
Find more notables, published weekly in O.D. Notebook, on optometricmanagement.com . OM