- ABB Optical Group announced that it has reorganized its services and solutions into three new groups: ABB Contact Lens, ABB Labs and ABB Business Solutions.
- Essilor International reported that an investment of $14 billion is required to eliminate uncorrected poor vision by 2050. Uncorrected poor vision affects 2.7 billion and costs $272 billion in lost productivity per year globally.
- EyeMedsNow.com offers a comprehensive drug information database designed for prescribers of ophthalmic medications. The database can be searched by condition, classification or key word.
- Luneau Technology acquired Next Sight, an Italian company specializing in retinal screening and telehealth.
- Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association (NORA) recognized several individuals for their contributions to NORA and the field of neuro-optometric rehabilitation: Eric Singman, M.D., Ph.D., Patrick Quaid, O.D., F.C.O.V.D., Ph.D., DeAnn Fitzgerald, O.D., Curt Baxstrom, O.D., F.C.O.V.D., F.A.A.O., and Gary Esterow. In addition, the Concussion Legacy Foundation was honored for its contributions to the field.
- Optometry Giving Sight has established a new Board of Directors. Dr. Juan Carlos Aragón, President of CooperVision’s Specialty Eye Care Division, is the President of the new board. Joining Dr. Aragón on the Board of Directors are: Dr. Howard Purcell, President and CEO of the New England College of Optometry, Yvette Waddell, CEO of Brien Holden Vision Institute Foundation, Dr. Susan Cooper, former President of the World Council of Optometry, and Dr. Earl Smith, former Dean of the University of Houston College of Optometry.
- Professional Eye Care Associates of America (PECAA) announced the launch of its new association health plan. PECAAHP, as the plan is being called, is a private, non-profit, level-funded benefits plan offered through Aetna network. It will offer multiple medical plans, including PPO and HAS options. Members and non-members can get a no-obligation quote at pecaa.com/pecaahp .
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries has commercialized Cequa (cyclosporine ophthalmic solution 0.09%), indicated for tear production in keratoconjunctivitis sicca patients. Also, the company is rolling out Cequa Support Specialty Pharmacy, a program to enable commercially insured patients to easily obtain the product. For more information, visit cequa.com , or call (833) 44-CEQUA.