- Abbott has announced that the FDA issued Emergency Use Authorization for its molecular point-of-care test for identifying COVID-19.
- Allergan has made program enhancements to assist ECPs and patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. They are: lowering copay savings card offerings for Restasis, Restasis Multidose, Lumigan, Combigan and Alphagan P; enabling eligible commercially insured patients to pay as little as $0, using the My Tears, My Rewards, or At Your Service programs, accessible via restasis.com or savewithays.com ; and increasing the coupon value on all REFRESH products $10 (see RefreshRewards.com ).
- AOA has cancelled Optometry’s Meeting 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but will reconfigure key elements virtually for members to continue their professional development. More information will become available at optometrysmeeting.org . Send questions to askAOA@aoa.org.
- Bausch Health Companies Inc. has donated its Biotrue ONEday daily disposable contact lenses to health care providers in Wuhan, China, who have reported being hindered by fogging eyeglasses while wearing protective gear, such as goggles, face masks and containment suits.
- Bio-Tissue, Inc., a TissueTech, Inc. company that makes cryopreserved amniotic membrane products for ocular surface disease and disorders, has announced the first National Mechanical Dry Eye Day, which will occur on May 19 and annually thereafter. Bio-Tissue will feature related videos on its social media pages and showcase its www.DiscoverMDE.com website.
- CooperVision, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, is providing free shipping for direct-to-patient contact lens delivery of any two boxes or more; providing reimbursement for Authorized Distributors to participate in the direct-to-patient delivery program; honoring rebates for an early annual supply purchase or to extend prescriptions on a case-by-case basis; and extending payment terms on current pending invoices.
- EyeCarePro has released GetSetCare — a free (during the COVID-19 pandemic) and fully HIPAA-compliant telehealth platform. The platform is iOS, Android and desktop compatible. Visit https://bit.ly/2UQYi6w for additional information.
- Eyevance Pharmaceuticals has launched Zerviate (cetirizine ophthalmic solution) 0.24% for the treatment of ocular itching associated with allergic conjunctivitis and Tobradex ST (tobramycin/dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension) 0.3%/0.05%, following the company’s acquisition of the product in 2019.
- Icare USA Inc. has announced it completed its merger with CenterVue, Inc., after the acquisition of CenterVue by the Finnish Revenio Group Corporation in April 2019. For more information, visit www.icare-usa.com , www.centervue.com or www.reveniogroup.fi/en .
- MacuLearn.com is an online, COPE-approved learning resource that allows O.D.s and eye care technicians to complete certified training regarding the importance of nutrition to eye health at their desk or by using a mobile device. The site is the result of a partnership between Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland, and Salus University Pennsylvania College of Optometry, and it is the brainchild of Prof. John Nolan, Nutrition Research Centre, Ireland, School of Health Science, Waterford Institute of Technology and Dr. James Stringham, Visual Performance Laboratory, Duke University School of Medicine. The www.maculearn.com site is now live and will be updated with further learning modules through the rest of 2020 and beyond. For more information, contact Brian Nolan, Bance Nolan Ltd, at firstname.lastname@example.org; +353868191730.
- Neurolens has announced these actions during the COVID-19 pandemic: no payment on current and future Neurolens lab bills until July 1, 2020 (90-day deferred payment) and the waiving of all drop ship fees until July 1, 2020 to ensure that lenses can be sent to customers or patient homes as needed. For additional information, reach out to your account manager/territory manager.
- SynergEyes, Inc., has announced it has implemented extended war-ranties and reduced shipping rates to support customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Orders may be placed via phone or email or via the online RxConnect system. Contact your SynergEyes sales representative for more information. Visit https://bit.ly/39s5QC0 .
- Topcon Healthcare has announced it is offering free breath shields that fit on to Topcon slit lamps to reduce exposure to airborne contaminants (registration at http://bit.ly/2x8aVlk ).
- Vision Expo has launched Virtual Connections, a new program designed to facilitate conversations and virtual meetings for Vision Expo East 2020 exhibitors and registered attendees for the postponed event. Launched in mid-April, Virtual Connections plans to provide various options for connecting, including a digital concierge service that offers one-to-one business matchmaking services. For more information, contact Mitch Barkley at email@example.com.
- VSP Global has given all VSP network practices access to Premier Academy360’s library of education and training resources, with new webinars (vspproviderhub.com/premier/academy360 ).
- ZEISS is offering free slit lamp breath shields for your practice. The company says the breath shields fit a variety of slit lamp makes and models, are easy to install and provide easy access to device controls and the patient. To find out how to get the free slit lamp breath shield, visit https://bit.ly/2wQBprW . OM
OM COVID-19 Resources
For continually updated resources regarding the coronavirus crisis and optometry, please visit bit.ly/OMcoronavirus .