- Alcon has launched a new website https://www.yourlasiksolution.com/home/ to help educate patients about LASIK and surgery options. The company gathered input from LASIK patients regarding the type of information that is critical to making an informed decision and included it in the website, alongside an overview of Alcon’s technology.
- Advanced Vision Technologies’ Naturalens products include Naturalens MINI Scleral. It features a smaller diameter range from 13.8 mm to 15.5 mm. Best candidates are patients who have smaller fissures or who experience problems with insertion and removal of larger sclerals.
- CooperVision is on track to donate up to $500,000 from its MiSight Sales to Our Children’s Vision by the end of 2020. A percentage of sales of the MiSight 1 day contact lens goes to the organization.
- EssilorLuxottica is set to acquire Hal Optical Investments B.V. (HAL)’s majority interest in GrandVision. After the transaction closes, which is expected in the next 12 months to 24 months, the company will launch a mandatory public offering for the outstanding shares of GrandVision. Through this acquisition, EssilorLuxottica will expand its optical retail platform, primarily in Europe, by adding more than 7,200 stores globally and over 37,000 employees. The transaction is subject to regulatory approvals.
- Glaukos Corp. has entered into a licensing agreement with Intratus Inc. under which Intratus has granted Glaukos a global exclusive license to research, develop, manufacture and commercialize Intratus’ patented, non-invasive drug delivery platform designed for use in the treatment of dry eye disease, glaucoma and other corneal disorders, such as allergy, blepharitis, conjunctivitis and related conditions.
- Safilo announced that all globally produced point-of-purchase marketing materials, namely counter card or show cards, will be FSC (or Forest Stewardship Council)-certified starting with the fall 2019 selling season. FSC certification ensures items come from responsibly managed forests that provide environmental, social and economic benefits.
- Transitions Optical Employee Perceptions of Vision Benefits survey found that six in 10 Gen Z employees are enrolled in a vision plan, compared to half of Gen Z employees reported in the 2018 survey. Additional data shows that 44% of Gen Z employees, those between the ages of 18 and 24, say vision benefits are an important factor in their decision to accept a job.
- Valley Contax and Contamac recently held the sixth annual Residency Summit Celebration, a three-day event including scleral lens education and fitting. Twenty-five residents attended and competed in teams in challenges, such as best slit lamp photos and lens fitting strategies. It took place in Oregon’s Willamette Valley.