Myopia Center Expands LocationsTreehouse Eyes announced the opening of eight new centers, a collaboration with select practices in California, Texas, Florida and Michigan. Dr. Gary Gerber, co-founder, says, “By partnering with carefully vetted practices that meet certain pre-determined requirements, we will rapidly accelerate myopia management within those practices and will continue our growth across the country…” Practices include: Insight Vision Center Optometry, Costa Mesa, Calif.; Focal Point Optometry, Fullerton, Calif.; Pacific Rims Optometry, San Francisco; Visionary Eye Care, Tampa, Fla.; Warm Springs Optometric Group, Fremont, Calif.; Neuro-Vision Associates of North Texas, Plano, Texas; Premier Vision, Amarillo, Texas; and Birmingham Vision Care, Bloomfield Township, Mich. (See photo: From L to R: Dr. Gary Gerber, Dr. Valerie Lam, Dr. Thanh Mai, Dr. Michelle Kirk, Dr. Alvin Arellano.)
Practice Tip: With the current opioid crisis, practices should consider creating a drug-free workplace policy that includes prescription medications, recommends the National Safety Council. For examples of what this policy should be comprised of, see https://bit.ly/2lRsoca.
- AOA has created a resource for optometrists and their contact lens staff that emphasizes the “teach-back” method. This method is comprised of asking contact lens patients and their families to restate, in their own words, what the O.D. shared with them about contact lens wear to ensure patients understand the core takeaways. To access “Applying the Teach-Back Method to Contact Lens Patients,” visit https://bit.ly/2lDhbvW.
- Compulink Healthcare Solutions, which provides EHR and Practice Management solutions, acquired MyEyeStore, an e-commerce program for optometry and ophthalmology practices to offer contact lens re-ordering and sell other recommended products directly to the patient.
- MyopiaCare, an online educational platform (www.myopiacare.org,www.myopiacare.com) and myopia.care), has integrated the MyAppia online calculator, which illustrates the impact of myopia via using patient age, current prescription and risk factors to build a visual prediction for the prescription development over 10 years. The calculator then adds various treatment options (atropine, ortho-k, spectacles or soft multifocal contact lenses) to outline predicted outcomes in an “easy-to-understand” visual format that ECPs can use to show parents and patients how their treatment choices may alter future myopia progression outcomes. Access the calculator at www.myopiacare.com.
- Sight Sciences announced the closing of $31 million in Series D Preferred Stock financing led by KCK Group. MidCap Financial also participated in the equity raise. The proceeds are being used to accelerate the growth of the Omni Surgical and TearCare systems in the U.S., develop a global commercial infrastructure in select international markets and to conduct additional clinical trials.
- Valley Contax has introduced a Total Cost Guaranteed warranty policy, which went into effect Aug. 19. Under the policy, every lens it manufactures has a single standard price and includes free shipping to practitioners’ offices (two day or ground), free add-on services and upgrades, such as edge vault. The lenses sold under the policy are eligible for spare lens pricing and include unlimited remakes for 120 days. Contact the company for clarification or additional details.
- GPN Technologies is releasing an enhancement to its EdgePro system offering: customization options for prioritizing and monitoring key practice metrics, revenue trends, transaction-level details and custom goals for improving the bottom line. The new features will be unveiled at Vision Expo West, booth MS4053.
- EyeKinetix, from Konan Medical, is a pupillograph featuring RAPDx objective, an automated test to assess relative afferent pupillary defects quickly, EyeKinetix, the company’s proprietary, precision color and luminance calibration system on a tablet/PC, and a trial of ColorDx CCT HD, the company’s color vision diagnostic test. More information at KonanMedical.com.
- Evo XS 2 and Perception 2 Groove, from Luneau Technology, are two new Briot products. Evo XS 2 combines tracer, blocking and edging in one platform. Perception 2 Groove is an entry-level edger.
- Myopia Master, from Oculus, is a device designed to combine the important measurement methods of myopia management: axial length, refraction values and the central corneal radii. The product creates a myopia report for each patient, giving due consideration to such myopia risk factors as having myopic parents, time spent outdoors or time spent on near-vision activities. Oculus says that the Myopia Master assists in educating patients. The device can be mounted on a workstation or on an ophthalmic table. The software can be operated either directly via the display or from a connected computer.