Here are some other steps we are taking in the office to minimize exposure risk among our patients:
- We allow only the patient into the office. If the patient is a minor, with her parent or guardian.
- We have removed all magazines, the children’s table and books and set all chairs in the waiting room six feet apart. All other seats have been temporally removed to allow for “personal distancing.”
- We wipe the office down both in the morning and in the afternoon, as well as the front desk area after every patient.
- Our testing and optometric equipment are cleaned prior to every patient encounter.
- Gloves and masks are available to our staff, if they wish to use them, although they prefer to use hand sanitizer.
- Hand washing, of course, is an ongoing policy to minimize any contamination of patients or staff.
- Any frame a patient touches is left on the counter and cleaned prior to being placed back on the frame board.
— Pamela J. Miller, O.D., F.A.A.O., J.D., F.N.A.P., editorial board member
Find more COVID-19 coverage here.