- ABB Optical Group and Paragon Vision Sciences announced the 2020 winners of their Optometry Student Challenge. The three winners – Shuyi Chen (SUNY) (orthokeratology after SMILE surgery), Preet Dhami (MCPHS) (scleral notch for keratoconjunctivitis) and Elton Wong (SUNY) (Lens for epithelial basement membrane dystrophy and irregular corneal astigmatism) – presented scientific posters at the 2020 Global Specialty Lens Symposium in Las Vegas. The Challenge aims to foster the study of contact lenses by optometric students. More than 86 students submitted abstracts for review.
- Aerie Pharmaceuticals appointed Michelle Senchyna, Ph.D., as vice president of Clinical Development and Medical Affairs. Dr. Senchyna will lead clinical development and medical affairs strategy for the company.
- Bausch + Lomb has partnered with Prevent Blindnessto spread awareness about AMD, as part of February’s national AMD Awareness Month. Bausch + Lomb will provide free education resources at www.SightMatters.com,alongside Prevent Blindness’ own resources at http://PreventBlindness.org/AMD.
- Topology Eyewear, a luxury bespoke frame manufacturer, based in California, is introducing their new frame-fitting technology at Vision Expo East 2020, taking place March 26 to March 29 at New York City’s Javits Center. Topology’s technology takes a 3D-digital scan of the patient’s face and adjusts the frame style to fit their face. Each frame is then crafted in San Francisco out of Italian acetate or surgical stainless steel.
- Transitions Academy 2020 hosted more than 1,000 attendees from 40 countries at Orlando’s J.W. Marriott Grande Lakes. Themed “2020 Light It Up,” the 24thannual event featured educational opportunities, such as “Developing and Understanding Your Leadership Brand,” and a team-building scavenger hunt. Additionally, the company announced that its Signature GEN 8 lenses are now available in Amber, Amethyst, Emerald and Sapphire, and Transitions introduced XTRActive Polarized Lenses, which, “achieve extra darkness and polarize outdoors in the sun.”
- Registration for SECO 20/20 is now open! The conference will take place March 4 to March 8 in Atlanta. SECO 20/20, along with 10 partner organizations, will be expanding educational offerings for the optometric community in attendance. To register for the event and more information, visit https://attendseco.com.
- Carrera Eyewear, from Safilo Group, has released its Spring/Summer 2020 eyewear collection, which stays true to the company’s background in sportswear and racing. Visit https://www.carreraworld.com/en-ww/collections/spring-summer-2020-collection.html.
- I-MED Pharma Inc., says it is planning to launch I-DROP MGD, a preservative-free artificial tear created to relieve evaporative dry eye disease symptoms. The formulation includes osmoprotectants and bioprotectants that stabilize and enhance the lipid layer, while decreasing evaporation of the tear film, the company says.
- Prevent Blindness is calling for nominations for the “2020 Jenny Pomeroy Award for Excellence in Vision and Public Health,” and the new “Rising Visionary Award.” The submission deadline is Friday, February 28, 2020. Visit https://www.preventblindness.org/call-nominations-jenny-pomeroy-award-excellence-vision-and-public-health-and-new-rising-visionary.