- The American Optometric Association (AOA) has announced it is working with Lyft, the transportation network, to offer free round-trip rides (up to $25) to people in select cities in an effort to make it easier to get their annual eye exam with a doctor of optometry. The cities included are Charleston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Memphis, Miami, New York, St. Louis and Seattle.For more information: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-american-optometric-association-aoa-partners-with-lyft-to-offer-free-rides-to-get-a-comprehensive-eye-exam-301013615.html
- The California Optometric Association (COA) has announced Jason Tu, O.D.,has been elected president of the organization. Dr. Tu is an optometrist practicing in San Diego. He was president of the COA San Diego County Optometric Society and secretary-treasurer of the COA, as well as on the Vision of Children Foundation Advisory Board.
- BOSS Eyewear, from Safilo, has released its Spring/Summer 2020 collection, featuring sunglass and optical styles in classic acetate and metal frames. Singer-songwriter Liam Payne, of OneDirection fame, is the face of the collection.
- CooperVision will showcase new products and education materials at SECO 2020 in Atlanta. Company representatives will be exhibiting the forthcoming Biofinity toric multifocal contact lenses, providing fittings and exams for its contact lens portfolio, and the Brilliant Futures Myopia Management Program. CooperVision will also be hosting symposiums on myopia throughout SECO 2020.
- Keeler USA’s President Eva Kosanovic will be honored with the “Eyes on Leadership” award from the Optometric Center of New York. Ms. Kosanovic, who is being recognized for her leadership and commitment to improving the eye care industry, will be presented with the award on March 27, 2020.
- Eyevance Pharmaceuticals appointed Julie Speed to chief commercial officer. In her role, Ms. Speed will be responsible for developing the commercial strategy and overseeing the growth of Eyevance’s product portfolio. Ms. Speed was senior director, U.S. Marketing at Johnson & Johnson Vision, vice president of Global Marketing at TearLab Corporation, and served for 15 years at Alcon.
- IDOC's National Conference, Connection 2020, had record attendance this year with 725 members, representatives, and industry professionals joining the conference. This year's gathering focused on data and analytics, offering customized tracks for O.D.s and a keynote speech from Oakland A’s executive vice president of baseball operations Billy Beane, the subject of the book “Moneyball,” which was made into a film in 2011.
- OculisS.A., a linical-stage biopharmaceutical company, announced the appointment of Marcia de Souza Lima, M.D., MIPP, as chief medical officer. Dr. de Souza Lima is an ophthalmologist and served as vice president, Head of Global Medical Affairs for Shire.
- RightEye LLC unveiled the six 2020 RightEye Impact Awards finalists. The finalists were judged based on the scale of clinical progress and improved quality of patients’ lives, each provider having used RightEye in the process. The grand prize winner will be honored at a ceremony on March 13, 2020 in the winner’s hometown.
- Essilor Custom Contact Lens Specialists is bringing back more webinars as part of its “Focus on Education” series. Each class will be hosted by Howard Purcell, O.D., president and CEO of the New England College of Optometry. Upcoming sessions include “Getting the Most Out of Presbyopic GP Lenses,” on March 18 at 8:00 p.m. EST, presented by Thomas G. Quinn, O.D., MS; and “Building a Specialty Lens Practice with Staff Training at the Core,” on April 21 at 8:00 p.m. EST, presented by Katie Greiner, O.D., MS, MBA. To register or to check out past webinars, visit: https://essilorcontacts.com/content.aspx?category=webinars.
- Vision Expo East is hosting an opening party in Sony Hall on Friday, March 27, where guests will be entertained by the musical stylings of Bad Habits, The Official Eyedocs of Rock. Bonus: Follow the link to enter to win a free VIP experience (private area near stage, champagne, etc.) at www.eyedocsofrock.com.
- Lighthouse Guild is offering free access to its traumatic brain injury (TBI) and visual dysfunction elearning course throughout March. The education programs are designed for optometrists, rehabilitation professionals and other healthcare professionals. The course can be accessed here: https://www.lighthouseguild.org/healthcare-professionals/elearning/
- Menicon America has expanded the parameters for its Miru 1month Toric contact lens. Miru 1month Toric lenses are now available in an axis range of 10° to 180° in 10° increments, as well as in three cylinder options, -0.75 D, -1.25 D and -1.75 D and across a power range of Plano to -10.00 D.
O.D. Notebook is published weekly on Wednesdays. Unless otherwise noted, the information presented is based on press releases. Find earlier editions here. To submit a press release to be considered for publication, click here.