Practice Tip: One step to take to successfully implement myopia care into your practice is to start simple: “Optometrists new to myopia control should not perform their first orthokeratology treatment on a -6.00 D myope or a 2.00 D astigmat… I recommend beginning with a straightforward case, preferably a motivated child and a low-maintenance parent. For example, optometrists should start with a 12-year-old –2.00 D myope who desires contact lens wear,” recommends Mark A. Bullimore, MCOPTOM, PH.D., F.A.A.O., in his article, “Implement Myopia Care Into Practice.” For additional steps, visit https://www.optometricmanagement.com/issues/2020/june-2020/implement-myopia-care-into-practice.
- The American Academy of Optometry Foundation (AAOF) has announced the 11 recipients of the 2020 William C. Ezell Fellowships. The Ezell Fellowship program is named for the founding president of the AAOF, William C. Ezell, O.D., to provide recognition and support to talented post-doctoral students who are pursuing an advanced degree in optometric research and education. The recipients: Erin Tomiyama, O.D., M.S., F.A.A.O.; Eugene Appenteng Osae, O.D.; Reynolds Kwame Ablordeppey, O.D.; Lyndsey Ferris, O.D., F.A.A.O; Young Hyun Kim; Justin Courson; Kelsy Steele, O.D., M.S., F.A.A.O.; Kwaku Osei, O.D., F.A.A.O.; Afua Oteng Asare, O.D., M.P.H., MSc; Billie Beckwith-Cohen, DVM, M.B.A., F.A.A.O.; and Rabia Mobeen, BOptom, MPhil.
- The Vision Counciland Vision Expo will present “Introducing Reopeneyecare.com: Your Guide to Getting Back to Business” as part of the Virtual EYE2EYE Series, today at 12:15 PM, EST. Both Vision Council members and nonmembers are invited to register at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/u5Upf--pqzsiWwaFE8H08vVPc1SY_l2tSA. For more information on Vision Expo’s Virtual EYE2EYE Series, click here.
- Alcon has launched the “No Reason to Wait: Success Starts Now” program to help eye care professionals who do not currently own a Systane iLux system identify new ways to aid patients and implement strategies for supporting the economic recovery of their practices. The program is comprised of the Dry Eye Excellence Program (DEEP) to help ECPs reach practice goals; the Systane MyEyes Program to help drive increased patient retention, continuity of care and procedure volume; and a series of web events focused on everything from virtual demos and practice protocols to sessions with leading dry eye disease thought leaders, the company says. In other news, Alcon recently received FDA market clearance for its Systane iLux2, which will combine high-resolution digital visualization, recording and media storage; a built-in near infrared meibography camera and white light surface imaging into a single, handheld, portable device. Practitioners who join the program mentioned above by purchasing a Systane iLux will have exclusive access to upgrade to the Systane iLux2 at preferred pricing once it becomes available in late 2021. For more information, visit www.SystaneiLux.com, contact your Alcon sales representative or email iLux@alcon.com.
- I-MED Pharma Inc. has announced it is collaborating with KMG International Limited to manufacture and supply personal protective equipment (PPE) (e.g. face masks, face shields, protective isolation gowns, examination gloves, hand sanitizers, digital clinical thermometers and SARS-CoV-2 antibody diagnostic testing kits) to help respond to the urgent need for these items in Canada, the United States and Europe. For more information, email email@example.com or visit www.imedpharma.com.
- Polaroid Eyewear has launched the STAYSAFE collection. STAYSAFE 1’s wraparound shield glasses cover the eye area and can be taken on and off, due to an adjustable rubber band personalized with the Polaroid logo and distinctive rainbow symbol. STAYSAFE 2 is s visor mask that protects the eyes, nose and mouth and has an adjustable rubber band. The collection is PPE-certified and will be available for children starting mid-July, the company says.
- Re-Vana Therapeutics Ltd, a privately held specialty therapeutic and drug delivery company developing sustained-release therapeutics for significant sight-threatening ocular diseases, has announced it has closed $3.25 million in pre-series A financing. The proceeds will advance proof-of-concept development for Re-Vana’s proprietary photocrosslinked EyeLief and OcuLief biodegradable technologies for the delivery of biologic and small molecule therapeutics, as well as enable expansion of the company’s research and development team. To date, ReVana has achieved at least four months sustained release of an anti-VEGF drug with greater than 50% drug loading in its implants.
- SightGlass Vision, Inc., announced it has achieved Conformité Européene (CE) Mark declaration on its first product – the company’s novel eyeglasses designed to slow the progression of myopia in children. The CE Mark confirms that SightGlass Vision’s Diffusion Optics Technology (DOT) spectacle lens products meet European Union (EU) regulatory standards, and allows the company to commercialize its suite of DOT products across the EU, United Kingdom, and other European Economic Area countries.
- SimulEYE has joined forces with Haag-Streit to create the LENSTAR Shield, which is made for Haag-Streit’s LENSTAR biometer. The Shield is made from thick gauge and durable materials, which can be easily sanitized, and uses a proprietary magnet system that facilitates installation, removal and cleaning.