Awards & Honors
- Texas State Optical has announced the winner of the Texas Optometric Association’s 2020 Young Optometrist of the year, Dr. Reid Robertson. Dr. Robertson is the current Chairman of the Texas State Optical Board of Directors and was previously awarded the Zelda Schiffman Neuro Ophthalmology Award for excellence in clinical assessment and patient care. The award is given to a young optometrist who has been in active practice for 10 years or less and shows remarkable leaderships skills when serving patients, the community and profession.
- CooperCompanies president and CEO, Albert White, signed the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion pledge. The pledge is the world’s largest CEO-driven initiative to advance workplace diversity and inclusion. CooperCompanies joins 800 other companies who have already signed the pledge.
- Healthy Eyes Advantage (HEA) has announced Derrick Artis, O.D., M.B.A, F.A.A.O., joined its board of directors. Dr. Artis brings a career of experience in eye care practices and the industry. Also, he serves on the board of Salus University and is a managing partner at Havencrest Capital Management,a Dallas-based, private equity fund manager.
- Sunbit, a technology company focused on improving the buying and selling experience for everyday purchases, is offering eyewear consumers the ability to split their over $60 purchases into three monthly installments with 0% interest or 6 or 12 months with interest. The application process takes 30 seconds, with about 90% of patients approved, the company says. See https://sunbit.com/eyewear.
- Optometry Giving Sight released updates on its Mexican partner, Ver Bien para Aprender Mejor (See Well to Learn Better). Ver Bien reports 12% of school-age children in Mexico live with refractions easily corrected via a pair of glasses. Over the last 20 years, Ver Bien has provided 5.8 million pairs of glasses to public school children around Mexico, focusing on rural areas without access to healthcare providers.
- The Vision Council held its Annual Executive Summit at the Eau Palm Resort in Manalapan, Fla. from Jan. 29 to Jan. 31. The event welcomed over 300 industry leaders for networking, leadership development, keynotes, as well as insight into The Vision Council’s reimagination of Vision Expo and it’s larger 2020 marketing strategy. Also, The Vision Council confirmed the Board of Directors (a full roster can be found at https://www.thevisioncouncil.org/governance?_zs=wHf3N1&_zl=hOAX5).