As part 4 (and the final part) in my series on competing with online optical vendors, I will provide a simple patient education handout that your staff can use when they have a patient who is considering taking his spectacle Rx to be filled elsewhere. It is a handy list for staff to pull out and review with the patient in an effort to showcase all the very real advantages of buying their glasses from your office. That may be enough to keep them in your office, but if the patient does decide to shop around, having the list with them may help them compare apples to apples.
I have published similar handouts before in this column under the title 10 Reasons to Buy Your Glasses at Gailmard Eye Center. I’m proud to announce that I have expanded the list to now offer 10 reasons! I also updated the reasons to better reflect the e-commerce environment, although the handout still works well with shoppers who want to go to local optical stores. Feel free to use my handout as inspiration to design your own. You can just put it on your letterhead or add cool graphics. Of course, you will have to modify the reasons so they are true for your practice.
10 Reasons to Buy Your Glasses at
Gailmard Eye Center
1. We offer a huge selection of frames and sunglasses that you can actually try on… to see how you look and how the frame feels on your face. Our opticians will help you find the perfect style, size, and color in your price range. Frames start at $95 and go up to include models that are made with real gold or exotic woods at over $1,000. We carry well-known designer brands and also many exclusive frame lines. We are happy to order additional frames or colors for you to see and try-on if desired.
2. You will be assured of getting the highest quality lenses and frames. We are optical professionals and we use the finest products available to provide you with the clearest eyesight and good durability. We use the top lens brands, like Varilux, Crizal and Transitions. Online vendors often use inferior products, because it is hard for the consumer to tell the difference - at first.
3. Our opticians perform 10 precise measurements of your eyes and facial features which are used to place your eyeglass order. We use advanced computer software and facial imaging technology. A PD measurement alone is not enough to make a good pair of glasses. We do not provide our proprietary measurements to other sellers.
4. We accept your vision plan insurance. Most online vendors and optical stores do not. We are in-network providers for all major vision plans and we can check your benefits and accept payment directly from your plan.
5. In addition to accepting major credit cards, we accept Care Credit, which is a health care financing service. You can apply in our office and select a six month payment plan that has zero interest.
6. Our opticians are experts in lens products and features and they can be rather complex. We will guide you through the multitude of choices and explain what the lens features will do for you. We want you to get the best glasses and not pay for things you don’t want or need.
7. We verify your prescription lenses for accuracy, we check the frame size and we approve the overall quality of workmanship before we contact you to pick up your new eyewear. If the job does not meet our high standards, it is returned to the lab and made again. Most online vendors do not check your prescription and errors happen frequently.
8. 14 day exchange privilege. After getting your glasses, if you decide you don’t like the frame, you may exchange it for any other frame. If new lenses are required, a small regrinding fee will be charged.
9. Free lifetime adjustments and repairs. Our expert opticians will professionally adjust and fit your glasses as often as needed for as long as you have them, at no charge. We replace screws and nose pads at no charge for our patients also. We do not adjust or repair glasses that are not purchased from us.
10. Our doctors are available to review your prescription needs and recheck your vision if you have any difficulties (at no charge) and we will fix any problems. We want you to love your glasses!